Saturday, October 31, 2015

Welcome HEBBY ROMAN - Western Romance Author

Please help me welcome Hebby Roman to the blog. She's visiting today to tell us about "A Hard Candy Christmas" her story in the Silver Belles and Stetsons anthology.

Tell us about your story in the Silver Belles anthology
 

"A Hard Candy Christmas" is a story that's very close to my heart. I set it in my hometown of Del Rio, Texas, and I've included railroaders along with sheep ranchers because the railroad in the early days of Del Rio was a huge boost to the local economy.

My father was a railroad engineer in Del Rio when I was growing up, and our life revolved around his train schedules. Another interesting fact about Del Rio is it was originally settled by ranchers, but not cattle ranchers—sheep ranchers. The climate is arid and the soil is poor and mostly grows brush and some prairie grass, so the original ranching families learned they could run more sheep per acre than cattle. My sister married into one of the pioneer families, the Bakers, and I spent several of my summers on their ranch, working sheep on horseback and helping out around the shearing shed.

The story centers on a young single mother, Abigail, whose husband has deserted her. She has an eight-year-old son. They're dependent on her demanding and miserly father, a railroad engineer, who also owns a boardinghouse, which she runs for him. Given her relationship with her husband and her father, Abby has been hurt and is fearful of men. She goes to great lengths to avoid men--until Clint Graham, a sheep rancher and the local sheriff, rents one of her rooms. Even though they're caught between the railroaders and sheep ranchers in a local feud, Abby and Clint learn they have a lot in common. And Clint's steadfast devotion to her son helps to dispel her fears about men. Their romance blossoms, but then Abby's long-absent husband shows up.

What inspired you to write "A Hard Candy Christmas?"


Summers spent on the Baker ranch and Devil's River, along with growing up in a railroad family and adapting to its peculiar lifestyle.

What is a typical writing day like for you?


Is there such a thing as a typical writing day? I wish there were, but I find I have to fit my writing schedule around my family, household stuff, my new granddaughter, and social media. However, if you ask what my ideal writing day SHOULD be, I would say, it's getting up, brushing my teeth, etc. and then immediately sitting down at my computer to write and ignoring everything until I've reached my page count (I'm old fashioned, I still use pages, not words, for my daily quota). My preferable page count is around 8 to 10 pages per day, six days a week. But if I'm on a deadline, I will write any time and burn a lot of midnight oil to make the deadline.

Blurb
Abigail Kerr Sanford is a single mother struggling to raise her child. Sheriff Clint Graham is a man scarred by his background and family tragedies. Drawn into a bitter feud between ranchers and railroaders, Abigail and Clint work together to resolve the feud, learning to respect and trust each other. And as their feelings deepen, they recognize their love is the most special Christmas gift of all.

Excerpt

“Don't! Don't say it.” Abigail covered her ears with her hands. “I can't stand it.” She rose and stood before him, tears trailing down her cheeks. “Too much sorrow, too much grief. There aren't enough words, there isn't enough…anything.”
Clint rose and put his arms around her waist. And she didn't pull away. Instead, she slumped against him and buried her face in his chest.
   
Talking about what had happened made the grief fresh again, like a knife cutting out his guts. But at the same time, he felt a breath of relief, as if he'd cauterized a gaping wound, and stopped the bleeding.

He rested his chin on the top of Abby's head and sighed. Her hair was soft and silky. And holding her in his arms helped—just touching her. He hoped she felt the same way.
   
She lifted her head and gazed at him. “Kevin reminds you of Timothy?”
   
He nodded. “Yes, being with your son is the only thing that's helped. I took the sheriff's job to make money and restock my ranch. But the real reason was to get away from the river. I couldn't stand to look at it—to be reminded of what happened.”
   
He trailed his fingertips along her cheek and down her throat. “I know I'm a crazy man, Abby. But being around you and Kevin makes me less crazy.” He snagged her gaze. “That should be a good thing, right?”
   
“Yes, Clint, a good thing.” She ran her pink tongue over her ruby-red lips.
   
And God help him, he bent his head and touched his lips to hers.
   
At first, she started to pull away, but he made himself go slow. He brushed her lips lightly, gently. She sighed and leaned into his embrace. He caressed her lips with his, angling his head this way and then that, but careful not to seek entrance to her mouth.
   
She might be the mother of an eight-year-old boy, but she acted like a virgin.
   
He cradled her and she snuggled closer, offering her mouth to him.
   
He groaned.
   
Would he ever get enough of her?

Author Bio 

Hebby Roman is the multi-published author of both historical and contemporary romances. Her first contemporary romance, SUMMER DREAMS, was the launch title for Encanto, a print line featuring Latino romances. And her re-published e-book, SUMMER DREAMS, was #1 in Amazon fiction and romance.

Hebby is a member of the Romance Writers of America, and the past president of her local chapter, North Texas Romance Writers. She was selected for the Romantic Times "Texas Author" award, and she won a national Harlequin contest. Her book, BORDER HEAT, was a Los Angeles Times Book Festival selection.

She graduated with highest honors from the University of Texas in Austin and was selected for inclusion in the first edition of Who's Who in American Women.

She is blessed to have all her family living close by in north Texas, including her family's latest edition, her granddaughter, Mackenzie. Hebby lives in Arlington, Texas with her husband, Luis, and maltipoo, Maximillian.

AUTHOR HOME

Hebby on FACEBOOK 
Amazon Author Page

Getting to Know Hebby

Favorite animal would have to be dogs with horses a close second.
Biggest fear is probably any of my family or friends being in a terrible car accident on the highway.
Easiest person to talk to would be my three closest girlfriends, all of whom I've known over 20 years, one of which was a college roommate.
Favorite song would be Chris Botti's "Indian Summer."
Favorite book would be "Gone with the Wind."
Ghosts, are they real? Yes, I think certain places that have deadly or notorious histories, tend to encourage spirits to "hang around."
Hometown is Del Rio, Texas.
I'm in love with my husband and son and granddaughter. Boring, aren't I? Well, there is "Downton Abbey." I love that series.
Middle name is Lynn, as in my mother, who when she was mad, would screech: "Hebby Lynn McCuller (maiden name), you get over here and…"
One wish would be to visit Venice before I leave this earth.
Reason to smile anything that lampoons egotistical people.
Song you last sang was "England Swings" because we were in Great Britain and that old 60's song kept playing in my mind.
Underwear color Really? Who cares? But again, I'm old fashioned, so definitely white.
Vacation destination Again, Venice and anywhere along the Mediterranean.
 Favorite movie is "Charade" with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant.
Worst habit is snacking, late at night, while I'm reading, even though I'm not really hungry.
Favorite food is beef stroganoff.
Zodiac sign: Virgo.


Thanks so much for visiting us today, Hebby!

You can read Hebby's story in the:
SILVER BELLES AND STETSONS ANTHOLOGY


9 comments:

  1. Hebby, thank you so much for blogging with Cait today! I know everyone will love your story HARD CANDY CHRISTMAS in the Silver Belles and Stetsons Anthology. Wishing you oodles of success ~ Cait ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to find out more about you Hebby. I have read your story and it is terrific.
    Cheers
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed Hard Candy Christmas and readers will, too, Hebby. Loved finding out more about you. My grandfather was an engineer with the Santa Fe and I never realized his schedule was strange. I thought it normal to drive him to Gainesville, Texas or to Oklahoma for him to drive the train back to Cleburne. Lol Happy sales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, all you early birds! You beat me up by a mile and I thought I was getting up early today! First, I want to thank Cait for being so gracious as to host my blog and so clever to ask such interesting questions. It was fun answering them!
    And a big thanks, too, to Margaret and Carra for joining me on the blog. Both ladies have books in the anthology, and I know readers will love reading them.
    Margaret's starts out with a pregnant lady in a wagon that is balanced on a cliff and about to go over--what a start! And Carra's book features one of the coldest Christmas on record in Texas, along with lots of suspense to keep you guessing as the romance heats up! All the stories in the anthology are unique and heart-felt and filled with the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Hebby, I love your story in Silver Belles and Stetsons. Enjoyed learning more about your background and the Del Rio area. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hebby, Fun information and great excerpt! I haven't had time to read the anthology, but all these excerpts are making me anxious to finish my deadline project so I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hebby, although we've known one another for fifteen years or so, I still learned more about you. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for success with your writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyn, thanks so much for your kind comments. I appreciate them, glad you liked my story. And thanks to Paty, too, for liking my excerpt! I know you'll love all the books when you read them, I enjoyed yours. Caroline, I wish it was only 15 years, but hasn't it even been longer... Scary, huh? Glad you learned some new facts about me. Really enjoyed your story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cait, I want to thank you again for hosting me. I loved your questions. You have an awesome blog site! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete